On 4/13/05, David J. Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> -Miapimoquitch: "Tepa" was a whole lot simpler.  I did something
> strange to this name, pronouncing it something like, [[log in to unmask]],
> but sometimes without the coda [m], and sometimes (possibly under
> the influence of the Simpsons), as [[log in to unmask]@.kwItS].

This is really funny. The name _Miapimoquitch_ is itself an
Anglicization of a Southern Paiute original, which would have been
pronounced [mi'a?pp1"mo:kk_wI?tS]. I pronounce it (on those rare
occasions when I get to pronounce it out loud) as [mi"&pi"moUkwItS].
While Tepa (['t1Ba]) may have been simpler to pronounce, too many
people were led astray by the romanization and pronounced it
['t_hEpa], which really grated on me.

Dirk
--
Watch the reply-to!