Thanks for the quick feedback Michael: in particular (and even though
you haven't answered the questions I asked) for having drawn to my
attention an utterly confusing mistake in my hasty generation of the
HTML draft -- it picked up the old P4 definition for the <index> element
instead of the new one. I will try to sort that out and post an improved
version tomorrow.

Three brief remarks in response to your other comments:

1.  The attribute formerly known as "index" is indeed not to be removed:
it has been named "indexName", as an example at the end of the draft
shows, and some discussion provided about how you might use it.

2.  I can't see any obvious way of using <index> to generate cross
references *within* a generated index; it is not really meant for that
purpose. The location/s which appear under the index term are to be
auto-generated from the location of the <index> element, so  I suppose
you could do something like
<ref>
<indexTerm>recursion</indexTerm>
recursion
</ref>
if you really wanted to upset your fractious Friday afternoon class

3. Your comments on the wording re. <divGen> are well taken, and I will
have another hack at the prose accordingly.

The sortKey attribute is a nice new feature, I hope you agree.

Lou