On 12 May 2005, at 18:45, Art - Arthit Suriyawongkul wrote:

>> representations of entitites (such as persons, places etc.)
>
> Like... the same "McDonald's" can be either <name> or <orgName>,
> depends on an analysis
> ("The fastfood chain called 'McDonald's'." vs "McDonald's goes China.")
> .. does it ?

Not quite.  <name> and <orgName>  are both meant to hold names. The
difference between them is that orgName is specifically the name of an
organization rather than (say) the name of a place. In your example,
both "McDonalds" are names of an  organization.  You can choose however
to make life easier by saying (by using <n ame>) that it's just a name,
without specifying what sort of a name it is. This is also useful if
you don't know what kind of a name it is. For example: in "he loved
MacDonalds"  might be naming  people with the name Macdonald, the
multinational fastfood conspiracy, sorry,  organization, or one of
their products.  So you might choose just to tag it as <name> and leave
your options open. Or, alternatively, record your definite decision
that in this case it's an <orgName> (or a <persName>). No we don't have
a tag for a productName  (yet) but we could invent one if you like!

In general the elements xxxName are equivalent to <name type="xxx">

> OK. So the practice is, I should define person (and place, etc.) in
> the header,
> give them each with ID. Then these IDs will be use in WHO of <q>, and
> KEY of <name>, <persName>, etc. Right ? Thank you :)

Yes, you can use the WHO attribute on <q> to point to <person>s. You
*can* use the same attribute for the values of KEY but it's necessary
to.

> Ah.. one point. So does it legal to use..
>
> That guy is <persName key="ART">Arthit</persName>.
> His nickname is <name type="person" key="ART">Art</name>.
>
> I'm not sure about the logic, but does it possible to interpret that
> "Arthit" is a person, and "Art" is a name -- so they cannot use the
> same key, as they are different in type (thus different 'object') ?
> Or this just totally a misconception. And the usage above is just
> correct.

The above usage is fine. See my comments above.

 From the Macmini at Burnard Towers