Mike F. wrote:

>You can't say "fast song" or "best season"  (let alone "first strike" or
>"glimpsed sprites"? that last has [-mpstspr-] more fearful than anything eo
>can throw up.

Interesting one this - I _always_ elide the t in such clusters in connected
speech.  So I never actually realize the cluster [sts].  I would say:

[fA:ssON]
[bEssijz@n]
[glImpssprajts]

It should also be pointed out that in all your examples, [sts] spans a
syllable boundary, whereas in 'scii' it does not and is word-initial,
something you _never_ get in English.

Kordiale, James Chandler