On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:00 am, Rex May wrote:
> Sometimes I think Z threw in "scii" as a joke.  In four letters, it
> includes
> the most annoying awkward two sound combinatins in the language!
> Think of the many roots he could have picked instead.  Savi, sabi,
> sapi, keni, vajsi, zini....and that's just remaining in Europe.  Even
> gnosi
> would be better.

I agree--not that it was a joke but that it's a word that is probably
troublesome to a lot of people.  And as you point out, many alternatives
were possible.  I've wondered why one of them hasn't been introduced and
gradually pushed out "scii" but I suppose it's because it's such a
frequently used word that it became entrenched right away.

How about "pisti", from "episteme"?

Todd Moody