"> > > Sometimes I think Z threw in "scii" as a joke.  In four letters, it
-
-
> It's a really bad borrowing from Latin to begin with; if Z had borrowed
> phonetically instead of graphically (which also causes oddities in
> words like "birdo"), we'd have "skii" (following classical
> pronunciation) or "sxii" (ecclesiastical).

For what it's worth, I seem to recall reading that this is one of the most
commonly changed roots among denaska speakers (from different language
background), usually to sii,  as in mi sias, etc. I think denaska speakers
who continue with the language into adulthood adopt scii, but it's
interesting that it's not that it doesn't come naturally for them.
It's also true that denaska usage doesn't have any special status in
esperantujo, so a native speaker innovation is considered just as bad as any
other 'reform'.

-michael farris