>From: "David J. Peterson" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: question - for organizing a long-delayed language
>Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 02:21:40 -0700
>
>Rodlox wrote:
><<
>I've finally gotten around to starting to try and find organizing
>principles
>to sort/simplify Metes (that terror of conlang discussions)...but I'm
>not
>sure how to proceed.
> >>

>I'd like to be able to give organizational advice, but I'm afraid it's
>dependent on understanding the logic of your language,

there is no logic to Metes...at least not yet.

but your comments are helping form a logic.

>which,
>again, I've failed to do.  I really find Metes (and your various other
>sketches/posts) astounding, because the way your languages
>work certainly must make sense to you

  no, not really....Metes was my attempt to make a conlang purely (or almost
purely) via mutation.

>(right?), but I just can't
>make heads or tails of them.  Your languages are quite different
>from any I've seen.

thank you.

>Quoting Rodlox here and hereafter:
><<
>teq(m) = 10
>teu- _=_ to do, perform, show favor, revere .
>teu- _=_ to lack, to be wanting; to tire .
> >>

>By giving this type of entry, you've shown that you want to
>separate different definitions for a word.  That's good.  Yet,
>the entries *within* your definitions just don't seem to gel.

  sorry

>Based on the definitions, I'd say that you should either have
>four entries, corresponding to the four groups I pointed out
>above, or one entry, with four subsections, as in a dictionary.
>
>Next question: What is does the notation _=_ convey?

the Equals sign, indicates translation...a space-saving interlinear
[notation] that I grew up with

>Next, why do both roots of /teu/ end in a hyphen?  What does
>the hyphen mean?  Usually it would indicate that the preceding
>is a prefix, or a stem that will take a suffix.  In the case of /teu/,
>it seems to be neither.

  well, in the examples I gave, it ceased to be purely prefixing.

>Next, in /teqm/, why is the /m/ in parentheses?  Is it because
>it disappears in certain environments?  If so, when?  In a dictionary,
>that's something you'd list in the beginning (e.g., "If a consonant
>is in parentheses, it means that the consonant disappears when it
>occurs before another consonant).
>
>Now your examples:
><<
>teu-teqm = to revere 10; teqm-teu = to lack 10
> >>

>Are these dictionary entries, or just examples?  If they're the
>former, are they going to be important enough to include as
>separate entries?

yes to the latter.

>Also, just a general question (two such, actually): Why does
>/teu/ come before "ten" in the first one, and after "ten" in the
>second one?

I was trying to think of ways to distinguish the two forms of /teu/

>WeIq
>
>(1) clan (social unit)
>(2) to bend, to wind
>(3) to fight, to conquer
>(4) to turn
>(5) to vascillate, to tremble ecstatically

  but, and this is where I get puzzled, how does one determine which one is
indicated in a sentance.

>A language question, though: How do you predict when an
>incorporated object comes before or after the noun?

I don't...not yet....hence my asking.

thank you for your assistance.