> Tension and release is essentially a temporal (i.e. linear) phenomenon: when there is no temporal direction, there cannot be tension before release, simply because there is no unique "before" or "after".

There is: the timeline of reading / understanding. Any
non-trivial-size writing (or communication in general) will require
time to understand (unless you already know it, of course). So it is
at least theoretically possible to play with that progression itself.

Sorta like your jigsaw puzzle idea, except that I think this would be
present even without any attempt to obfuscate.

 - Sai