Hallo!

On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:59:55 -0400,
Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just an observation that's struck me over the last few weeks-- in deriving
> new vocab. items for Kash, in the vast majority of cases I come up with
> compounds or derivations of existing words. It takes definite effort to
> choose a form from the list of possibles
>
> Is this because the dictionary is already quite large (+/- 5000 words, but
> fewer bases) and the language favors compounding/derivation, or am I just
> getting lazy?  :-)

In Old Albic, I only have about 300 roots so far and resort quite much
to derivations and compounding.  However, I try to find a middle path
between excessive derivations and compounds for things any sane human
language has a root for, and pulling lots of roots for related concepts
out of thin air.  But I find it quite hard to come up with roots that
satisfy me, and that's why Old Albic progresses so slowly in terms of
vocabulary.

Greetings,

Jörg.