On 5/11/05, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I think, in 2D writing, storytelling would not so much be a matter of
tension-and-release, but instead a matter of visual and aesthetic
beauty in the resulting layout and in the manner in which the various
elements are presented.

This puts me immediately in mind of Hesse's "The Glass Bead Game".  I've read it two or three times, and it always makes me desperate to know how in the world the Game actually works.  For those who haven't read it, it's described as a sort of two-dimensional written game, played for intellectual and artistic stimulation, in which the players write Chinese-style hieroglyphs encoding all of musical, mathematical, and intellectual history.  What are the rules?  How does it progress?  How is it a game?  I really don't have any idea.  It's worth a read by any conlanger, if only for the inspiring bafflement... no, baffling inspiration... it produces.

--
Patrick Littell
PHIL205: MWF 2:00-3:00, M 6:00-9:00