On Tuesday, May 17, 2005, at 10:52 , Roger Mills wrote:

> Ray Brown wrote:
> (re my reply about AN "RGH", "RLD" et al.)
>> Fascinating stuff. Where I can get more info?
>
> Unfortunately, mostly in hundreds of journal articles and conference
> papers.

Umm - I thought that might be the case   :=(

[references snipped]

> By the way, the basis of it all: Dempwolff, Otto: Vergleichende Lautlehre
> des Austronesischen Wortschatzes. Zeitschift für Eingeborenen Sprachen,
> Beiheft 15, 17, 19 (1934-37-39 resp.) Probably widely available; and there
> was a reprint by Kraus in 1969. (Good, clear German, lots of repetitive
> formulaic writing, easily readable with the aid of a good dictionary-- and
> motivation.)

Sounds as though it might prove easier than some of the German I read when
I was doing my MLitt research many years ago. (Some sentences ran on for
half a page!  )

Thanks for all the information.

Ray
http://home.freeuk.com/ray.brown
"A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
interfere with language."         J.G. Hamann, 1760