On 5/21/05, Adam F. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sender:       Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]>
Poster:       "Adam F." < [log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Word Creation

Can you explain the Triliteral and Bisyllabic roots more?  What does this
mean?  And it would be helpful is someone could give me some examples.

Triliterals consist of three consonants:

ktb - to write, writing

kataba - he wrote
kutiba - it was written
katabtu - I wrote

yaktubu - he writes
kutub - book
maktab - desk

katabah - scribes
maktaba - library
kutayba - writ, document, ordinance

This is the basic way Semitic languages form words, roots consist mostly of triliterals. Egyptian likewise also had lots of triliterals and lots of biliterals (two consonant roots)

Bisyllabic roots mean simply that the roots consist of two syllables:

idó  - dog (Hiligaynon)
niyog - coconut (Tagalog)
buhay - life (Tagalog)
kahoy - tree (Hiligaynon)
langit -sky (Tagalog)

The Philippine languages use roots that are mostly bisyllabic, but not always.

My one a priori conlang uses mostly bisyllabic roots, but I include a few trisyllabic ones for variety.

--
Remember Kids, only you can prevent misdirected replies! Pay attention to the "send to" line!

Sig:

They'll have a big parade for every day that you stay clean
But when the trumpets fade, you'll go under like a submarine
And you won't see it coming,  no you won't see it coming