On 5/20/05, Adam F. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am really bad at creating words.  I have tried several different ways of
> doing this, but I am never satisfied with the results.  I have taken the
> word for something from two different languages and combined it in some
> way to get a new word, I have used programs to generate randon words, and
> I have made them up off the top of my head.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions of other techniques that I might want to try?
One suggestion that I found somewhere but now have lost again is to
create a (much simpler) parent language, then to derive the child
language you want from it by (mostly regular) sound change, derivation
of words, and changes in meaning (The _Language Construction Kit_ is
helpful here.).  A good example of this technique is the selection of
related languages of Verduria, at http://www.zompist.com/.