Rob Haden wrote:

>That doesn't seem to follow, as you correctly intuit.  Latin dominated both
>the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages - the former was the most
>knowledgeable society at the time, and the latter was generally regarded as
>a dark period, as you point out.  These two conditions are obviously
>mutually exclusive.

My latin teacher said once that it is very probable that the ordinary
Roman understood very little of what classics like Caesar or Seneca
said. Anyway people spoke one form of Latin as a native language. When
Latin then developped into the Romance languages there were no native
speakers of Latin anymore.

In order for these ideas to hold we have to prove that the fact that the
school and chnurch latin which was nobody's native language did not slow
down evolution. Had Latin been taught to greater sections of the
population it might have been another story.

Ecclesiastical Latin stiffened into a cult language which the common
people could recite prayers in but didn't understand.

This comparison is only interesting to me as far as English goes and
what we can exspect from it in the future.

The media that carried Latin were manually copied books, mainly of a
theological nature, and it is striking that when man learns to print
books it is the national languages that will be used. With English the
situation is somewhat other, as it is carried by media with a tremendous
reach.

I think a native English speaker can better than me judge if the
language of media is so strong that it can work as some kind of unifying
factor.  If that is possible English can remain the world language for
quite a long time and could even gain a cultural position like Italian
in the world of music.

>Actually, I think that Latin embodies the likely future of any language
>

>that comes to be adopted as an IAL, because Latin *was* the IAL of Europe
>for a long time.

This, on the other hand, is a good guess. Latin has permeated nearly
every language in Europe and must be taken into consideration in an IAL.

And whatever kind of language this will be, it will anyway have to have
such a strongn role in media that people are accostumed to hearing it on
radio and TV and even reading newspapers in it (if they will still exist
in that future).

Kjell R