On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:09:58 -0400, Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I don't see *reughmen in the AHD online at
> http://www.bartleby.com/61/IEroots.html

Bizarrely, I just got home from work, and opened up my dead tree edition
of the AHD Appendix 1, out of curiousity, and there it indeed is:

reugh-men- Cream. O-grade form rough-men- |ramekin|, from Middle Low
German |ro:m(e)|, cream, from Germanic |raughma-|. [Pokorny reugh-m(e)n-
873.]

Maybe the online version is a more recent edition, and this root may no
longer be considered older than Germanic? It almost fits as a Noric
compound something like |rewgy-men|, for whatever that's worth. Maybe even
**rewme-n with hardening of the **w before a nasal???

Paul