On 6/29/05, taliesin the storyteller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> * Stephen Mulraney said on 2005-06-29 21:22:06 +0200> > Incidently, I notice that the listsev page was a new interface, and> > the interface seems to be a core part of the listserv software> > itself (judging how the name of the interface is given as just> > 'Listserv 14.4'). So presumeably the listserv software has been> > given an upgrade - and my first though is 'is the eating of certain> > unicode characters fixed?'. Can anyone recall which ones were> > eaten? Ones encoded with 0xa0, something like that?> > Certainly worth testing, see attached file.

Well, it works for me, at least in thunderbird. Viewing the attachment fromwithin gmail in firefox, for me anyway, doesn't work, though.
But the question is: are any of those nice symbols ones that used to fail?IIRC, many symbols came through alright (on a correctly configured system),but a number did not.
So, some further tests:
First of all, your test repeated, this time in the message body (I don'tknow if that might change anything...). If it doesn't come through, it'llshow (my, anyway) gmail isn't passing it properly onto the listserv.
Macrons:     ā ē ī ō ū Hachek:      š ž ǧ ǰ ǎVarious IPA:    θ ð ɥ ʏ ɪ ɛ ʉ ɫ kʲ tʰ t͡b a˨ e˧ i˦ ↓ | ‖ ɓ ǃ ǀ ǂ ɑOther:    москжа さくら にっぽん ελλενικι    æøå þð ŋ む

Now.. Quoting Mark J. Reed from 7th of May '04:
> The listserv software used on listserv.brown.edu, for whatever reason,> strips the high bit off bytes in the decimal range 128-160, EVEN IF THEY> ARE ENCODED AS QUOTED-PRINTABLE.  Or base64.  You send a message with,> say, Cyrillic yeru, U+044B.  It is UTF-8 encoded and then QP-encoded,> the result being =D1=8B.   The listserv software turns it into =D1=0B,> which is an illegal UTF-8 sequence, so the list recipients get> gobbledygook.
So, let's try some Cyrillic with a yeru: Язык  [ja-z-y-k].
Yitzik also mentioned somewhere that Georgian was mangled, so let'stry that:
ხ	4334	10EE	GEORGIAN LETTER XANჯ	4335	10EF	GEORGIAN LETTER JHANჰ	4336	10F0	GEORGIAN LETTER HAE
Now, let's see...
[prob. my 5th post of the day - I don't think I've posted to or even readthe list for a few months..!]

s.-- Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of      Stephen Mulraneymatter at or near the earth's surface relative           [log in to unmask] to other matter; second, telling other people   http://ataltane.ath.cx:8181to do so.         --  Bertrand Russell     http://livejournal.com/~ataltane