Shukran Jazilan!
Actually, there is a quite large Jewish community in E Borg Medina
(Alborgia-City), partly speaking Alborgian, partly Ladino and the most
recent immigrants from Morocco speaking Maghribi Arabiya.

In fact, Alborgian it self, being spoken by non-Muslims, has already some
features in common with the Jewish dialects of Moroccan Arabic.

E.g. eu [2] for ClassArab au with non-emphatic consonants, as in  geuz
[Z2z] = two,MorAr. zuj [zuZ];leula ["l2la] = first (fem), MorAr. lula.
But: loa ["lowa] = language (<lugha); xorin [Su"ri~] = months (<sh-hur),
odina = ear, lehodda [l@"hod:a] = tomorrow etc, so: "o" with emphatics, r,
etc

 [@]for ClassArab u (non-emph): e lwel [@ "l@w@l] first (m);
kssi ["k@s:i] everything (<kullshi); mora [mu"@ra] = flower (<nuwwara);
xft [S@ft] = I saw (<shuft); aklt = I ate (<kult), but: kolt = I said
(<qult).

The confusion between s and x [S] is a feature of both Borgi and Jewish
Maghribi as well, and the occurence of uvular r [R], in Borgi < rr.
e.g. sihed [si"hEd] = someone (<shi-Hedd), y serab [i"srab] = to drink
(<yshreb),  y seri/ser [i"sri] [s@"ra] = buy, bought ;

harra ["haRa] = hot (fem) (<Harra), marra ["maRa] = twice, barra ["baRa] =
outside.

Also t > ts/ch:
chesa ["tSEsa] = nine, hetsa ["hEtsa] = until (<Hatta), lebets [l@"bEts) =
home (<lil bait), chem [tSEm] = there, chema ["tSEma] = there is/are
(<temm(a)), y chemma [i"tSEm:a] = to call, y chellem [i"tSEl:@m] = to
speak, sets = six (<setta)

Notice the following pronouns with and without -a suffix, dew to Port.
influence a special "to be" verb was needed:

ien    I
ent    you (masc+fem!)
      he
ei     she
hena   we
ento   you (pl)
on     they (m+f)

on    here
chem   there

but:
iena                  I am
enta                  you are
oa                    he is
ia
(he)naya
(en)toma
oma (masc)/ona (fem)

(o)nya               here is
chema                 there is

past:
knt    I was
knti   you were
kn     he she it was
knna   we were
knto   you were (pl)
kno    they were

Same with "to have":
Forms with "and-" can be left out

n'ahu (and-i)    I have    (<nakhud = I take, 'endi = I have, litt:with me)
t'ahu (and-ek)   you have
y'ahu (and-o)
y'ahu (and-a)
n'ahudo (and-na)
t'ahudo (and-ko)
y'ahudo (and-on)

past:
hot
hochi
ha
honna
hocho
hado

Shalom, Ingmar

Shaul Vardi wrote:

That's really beautiful!  And Portuguese and Arabic are two of the most
attractive languages to my ear, so the combination is great.

> Anyone familiar with (Western) Arabic dialects should
> recognize most words, and a lot of Portuguese ones as well.

Well I speak an Eastern dialect (Palestinian) but still did fine with
the Arab words, and the Portuguese I got from Spanish and French.

Maybe on this island there was also a small residual Jewish community
that survived the Inquisition?  If I have time, I'll try to write a song
they might have sung, in their Hebrew-colored dialect of Alborgian.

Shaul