On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:14:10 -0400, John Vertical
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have no idea ... about the whole of "Phonetic Extensions" block with
> all the letters like "capital ou" or "sideways m" or "ain".

They're Uralicist speciality characters, not part of the IPA but rather
the UPA, though since there seem to be about half a dozen Uralicists on
the planet, and none of them publish very prolifically (and certainly not
any *accessible* texts), I suspect their secret code will remain secret
for ever more, and that's probably just how they like it.

Paul

/yes, I would kill for a Uralic "Beekes"