Hallo!

Doug Dee wrote:

> In a message dated 8/11/2005 11:54:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> >The gender of an animate noun is indicated by the final vowel,
> >which is /a/ for common gender, /o/ for masculine and /e/ for
> >feminine.  Inanimate nouns end in consonants.
>
> Are these rules exceptionless?  I ask because it's been claimed that there
> are no natural languages in which the gender of all nouns can be predicted with
> 100% reliability from their form.  If these rules have no exceptions, then Old
> Albic violates this alleged universal.

There are indeed a few excptions: _are_ `sun', _sino_ `moon',
_nabo_ `sky', _dage_ `earth', and probably a few others I haven't
found out about yet.  The gender markers of the words above are
primarily mythologically motivated; however, these are usually
treated as having common gender.

Greetings,

Jörg.