Paul Roser skrev:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:37:49 +0200, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>

>>I have [z=:] as an allophone of /i/ in my childhood accent of Swedish
>>(from Orust, Bohuslšn,if anyone wonders) and to my ear and my limited
>>experience Mandarin _si_ sounds exactly the same.
>

> BP, is that near Viby? Years ago I remember reading references to
> the 'Viby-i' which was supposed to be similar to the Chinese syllabic
> fricative.

No it's *not* near Viby.  There are two areas with these sounds:
one in the inland of Moddle Sweden (roughly south-west of Stockholm)
where Viby is located and one on the west coast north of Gothenburg
where I'm from.  The names "Viby-i" and "Viby-y" were choosen because
the name Viby is pronounced ['vz=:bz_O=:]!

--

/BP 8^)>

         Solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant!
                                             (Tacitus)