On 8/21/05, Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have in front of me a box from a bottle of cough
> medicine.  There's a picture of a broken bottle and
> a red circle with a red line.  I took that to mean
> "warning - do not break" or "fragile bottle" or "this
> can be dangerous when broken."  I then noticed that
> the words next to it were "shatter proof bottle."
> Sometimes words and grammar are so much nicer than
> the alternatives, even for simple ideas.

This seems like a case of the bottle manufacturer
misusing the normal iconic grammar: red circle
with red line is normally "negative imperative"
i.e. "don't do the action signified by the picture"
rather than "negative indicative", or "the action
or process signified by the picture does not happen".

> When I'm *in* Esperanto ... having been away from
> English for a few days, English words don't come to
> mind.  I'm alone by myself and I have to count chairs,
> so I count them out silently to myself ... in
> Esperanto.

Yes, the same happens with me.  It doesn't necessarily take
days, either; a few hours can be enough.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/conlang.htm