> I'm concerned about audit trails, reference and methods of
> affirmatively demonstrating an electronic document's fidelity to
> the print document from which it was encoded.
>
> So, and if this question is inapporpriate for this list I apologize
> and seek your kind indulgence: how can I determine, and prove, that
> the content of an electronic document faithfully and exactly
> reproduces the content of the source print document?

I don't think it's possible to prove such fidelity. And the only way
to determine it for yourself is by very careful proofreading.[1] But
this is not that dissimilar to the inability to prove that a print
edition is completely faithful to its source, is it? It is quite
reasonable to have an electronic document certified by some expert or
body of judges in the field.

There are things you can do to help boost reader's confidence, I
think:

* whether or not you have made corrections, always give the user the
  option of seeing the original, uncorrected, unregularized version;

* faithfully reproduce punctuation, even that which does not match
  current practices;

* permit the user to see original pagination and lineation.

Note
----
[1] Where there may be tricks to help such proofreading along,
    especially if the source print document is susceptible to
    scanning. In such a case, it may be worth trying to run a diff on
    the scanned and OCRed text and the text extracted from your
    encoded version via some transform. Other tricks include:
    * key the source document in again from scratch, and compare the
      results to your first encoding;
    * have one proofreader read the source aloud, letter by letter,
      while a second proofreader compares what she hears to the
      digital edition.