We at the Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities (RCH) at the University of Kentucky are so impressed by the recent announcement that The Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH) at the University of Maryland, College Park (http://www.mith.umd.edu/) is offering a fellowship for scholars affected by Hurricane Katrina that we have petitioned the College of Arts and Sciences at UK to support a similar position at RCH. Please distribute this announcement to other lists and post as you see fit. A
web version of the announcement is posted at http://www.rch.uky.edu/fellowship.html.

Thank you,
Dot Porter, Program Coordinator, RCH

NOTE: The RCH website may be unavailable Friday, September 9, until the late afternoon.

*****
*Announcement: Residential fellowship available for scholar displaced by Hurricane Katrina*

With the support of the College of Arts & Sciences and the University of Kentucky Libraries, the newly reorganized Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities (RCH) at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, is pleased to be able to offer an immediate residential fellowship available to any one faculty member or ABD doctoral candidate at an institution closed by Hurricane Katrina.

As described in our new mission statement, RCH brings together faculty and students from Engineering and the Humanities for research projects with benefits for all involved. We provide infrastructure, technical assistance, and grant writing assistance to individuals and groups who
propose projects under its auspices. We also encourage and support interdisciplinary projects among individuals and groups from UK and around the world.

We invite proposals from individual scholars who are currently working on a humanities computing project and require facilities to continue work OR who are in the process of starting a new project and require facilities and other assistance in getting the project off the ground.
Projects through RCH have traditionally focused on image-based editing of medieval and, more recently, classical materials, however we are currently in the exciting process of branching out and investigating new
topics. Any project focused on the electronic editing of or access to humanistic materials (manuscripts, rare books, artworks) would be acceptable.

For more details on RCH, please visit our website at
http://www.rch.uky.edu/.

The fellowship includes:

* Private workspace, including both PC and Macintosh workstations.
* Access to our own hardware and software, and that of the Preservation and Digital Programs Division
<http://www.uky.edu/Libraries/Special/> of the University of Kentucky Libraries (a list of hardware available at
http://www.rch.uky.edu/index-prop.html#Fac)
* An opportunity to speak through the "Wednesday Seminar" series at the Center for Computational Sciences <http://www.ccs.uky.edu/>.
* Access to the RCH and Stoa.org <http://www.stoa.org> development and production servers. This includes online publication space, as well as archival storage space.
* Consulting on issues of digital scholarship.

Although we will probably not be able to offer a stipend, we are able to provide some funding for relocation and assistance with a search for housing.

To apply, please send a letter of inquiry describing your project, a CV, and contact information for three references. Please send application materials by email to Dot Porter, the RCH Program Coordinator, at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or by regular mail to:

Dot Porter
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
351 William T. Young Library
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0456

Consideration of applications will begin immediately. Applications from women and minorities and graduate students and faculty at Historically Black Colleges and Universities is encouraged.

Ross Scaife and Jurek Jaromczyk, Directors

http://www.rch.uky.edu/

--
Dorothy Carr Porter, Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
University of Kentucky
351 William T. Young Library
Lexington, KY 40506

[log in to unmask] 859-257-9549