In the table of contents of Thomas E. Payne's 1997 "Describing Morphosyntax:  a Guide for Field Linguists" under " 9  Other verb and verb-phrase operations" we see "9.6  Evidentiality, validationality, and mirativity".

In on-line searches I cannot find "validationality" anywhere except in reviews of this book or quotations of its table-of-contents.

Online, evidentiality and mirativity are usually in a trio with "mediativity", not with "validationality".  "Mediativity" is a lot like "logophoricity"; and is related to the evidential opposition of hearsay vs. not-hearsay.  Discussions of "mediativity" seem to take a lot of time distinguishing it from, on the one hand, evidentiality, and, on the other hand, logophoricity -- or deciding not to so distinguish it, atcmb.

I'll just assume everyone already knows what "evidentiality" is, or will have no trouble finding out.

"Mirativity" is grammatical ways of showing how unprepared the speaker was for the statement he or she is making; it shows his or her "wonderment" or "marveling" about what he or she is saying.  One could therefore say that it is a kind of mood or modality; though not an epistemic nor a deontic one.

But, I don't know what "validationality" is.  Is it usually called something else by morphologists and syntacticians other than Payne? Or did it used to be?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Tom H.C. in MI

Yahoo! for Good