--- Yahya Abdal-Aziz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip>

> One question on LOTEP - how do you break ties?  The
> example you gave of two characters with the same
> LOTEP number seems to consist of a "base" character
> (the leftmost of the pair) and a derivative of it.
> Clearly, one could devise an orthography where that
> base character had several derivatives, each with
> the
> same LOTEP number.  Do you have any thoughts on
> what principles might be useful for ordering them?

In my pictographic language I recall that I had
anywhere from 3 or 4 to as many as 25 or 30 character
with the same LOTEP number, and I didn't really give
any thought to breaking ties. But even so, a page with
30 character is easier to scan by eye than a whole
dictionary of thousands of words.

By the way, my pictographic language was loosely based
on American Sign Language for the deaf which I was
learning at the time.  Each time I learned a new word
in ASL, I made up a new pictograph for that word that
was meant to remind me of the ASL sign. So after two
semesters of ASL I had become fluent in ASL AND fluent
in my written pictographic language.

--gary