On 10/20/05, Thomas Wier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Mark Reed:
> Many cultures find the idea of giving
> their child a reused name abhorrent; aside from not moving to those
> countries, they would seem to be out of luck.

This is true;  I am told (by Jewish friends) that Jews have specific
superstitions against it.

Well, sort of.  Ashkenazic Jews have a tradition of only naming children after *dead* ancestors; therefore, giving a child the same name as someone who is still alive is considered to be a sort of death curse on the one so "honored".  Sephardic Jews, I'm told, have no such tradition and readily name children after living relatives.

When I wrote the above, I was thinking more along the lines of traditions where a brand new name is created for each child.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>