THC> (Matronym, not metronym, is what you meant, I'm sure.)

RAB> I'm darn sure Philip meant 'metronym' - he does know Greek!

BPJ goes by "Philip"?  I didn't know that.

Regardless, your reply on his behalf seems to me to be unduly vehement.  I'm sure Tom meant no offense; perhaps the righteous indignation should be saved for cases where the offense is intentional?   It was an easy mistake to make, as while everyone on this list is a linguaphile, we're not necessariliy all philologists.  Mr. Chappell certainly jumped the gun by issuing a public correction without being certain of his facts - but I imagine he has now learned his lesson and won't make that mistake again.  In fact, he'll probably be quite paranoid on the subject. :)

THC> (what would a "metronym" be?

BPJ> What do you mean be "would be"? The word 'metronym' is perfectly good
BPJ> _English_, as a reference to any half-decent dictionary should show.

I'm afraid that "half-decent" is not good enough, since neither my copy of M-W nor AHD have "metronym".  (At least they don't have "matronym" either.)  I guess you need a fully-decent dictionary like the OED.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>