On 10/26/05, João Ricardo de Mendonça <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Is this surname-into-given-name thing common in other countries as
well?

It's pretty common in the US.  For instance, Addison is a popular first name for girls.  My last name, Reed, is a common first name as well.   CNN anchor Anderson Cooper is a famous example -  I would not blink if I were introduced to a Cooper Anderson, either.

I can't recall ever hearing about an American called Washington

Washington Irving?

but in Brazil it doesn't raise any eyebrows anymore. It seems that
when an American wants to pay homage to George Washington, he names
his son George, and not Washington. Is this so?

Not really, because George is a very common name that doesn't, in general, bring Washington to mind.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>