On 10/26/05, João Ricardo de Mendonça <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 10/26/05, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 10/26/05, João Ricardo de Mendonça <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I can't recall ever hearing about an American called Washington
>
>  Washington Irving?

Sorry, never heard of him.

Not too surprising for a non-USAnian, I suppose. :)  He was an Early American (late 18th/early 19th centuries) author.  He wrote poetry, essays, biographies, and all sorts of other things, but is best known today for two works of fiction: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (from which comes the character of the Headless Horseman and the 1999 theatrical adaptation starring Johnny Depp), and Rip Van Winkle (the story of a man who falls asleep and wakes up decades later - a sort of smaller-scale precursor to Buck Rogers).

Thanks for the information on the surnames.

De nada, senhor.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>