>I'm fond of the Norwegian word for moth, _nattsvermer_. _natt_ is
>"night" but _svermer_ can come from two words, _sverm_ "swarm" or the
>verb _sverme_ "to be infatuated with, to have a crush on". I suspect the
>"swarm" is the correct meaning but oh so much more poetic if they are
>poor winged bugs flying about in the night, hopelessly in love with the
>light?
>

>t.

The word "Nachtschwärmer" is used in German as
well, although I hear "Nachtfalter" more often,
and as your Norwegian example, it goes back to
"schwärmen" which is related to the English
"swarm". And it has both meanings: insects
buzzing around (and metaphorical also people),
especially bees leaving their hive, and to have a
knack for something. If I "schwärme" for Mozart,
than I adore him. Btw, a "Nachtschwärmer" is not
only a moth, but also a person who is still
hanging or wandering around late at night.

- Christian