--- On Thu 11/10, Risto Kupsala < [log in to unmask] > wrote:

From: Risto Kupsala [mailto: [log in to unmask]]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:44:42 +0200
Subject: Re: Types of neutrality, and central concerns for an IAL

> The reason, as Don Harlow stated later in
> his message, can be traced to the
> fact that "'cultural' neutrality is a
> relatively recent fashion; prior to the
> middle sixties, nobody would have cared."

I can't agree.
The early philosophical language efforts were to reflect no single existing language. The a-priori approach predates the a-posteriori.

Henry Sweet in the 1911 EncyclBrit:
"A really international language ought to be as acceptable to speakers of Arabic, Chinese or Japanese as to a European." (He did not think this readily attainable though.)

I agree with much of what Risto says, however.

Leo Moser

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com