On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 5:13 pm, Risto Kupsala wrote:
> It's just like the apartheid policy in
> South Africa. Prior to certain moment nobody cared (at least in the
> West). But
> it's not a valid justification and never was.

This is a sharp analogy, and I think it captures why Esperanto and other
euroclones cannot hope to win acceptance in academia.  It will be seen
as *morally* problematic to promote a language based on the great
colonial languages as a world language.  In a word, it'll be seen as
"hegemonic."  The irony is that, while any attempt promulgation of
Esperanto or Interlingua will trigger this ethical scruple, the use of
English is simply accepted as "practical."

Todd Moody