Hi!

Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Quoting tomhchappell <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > German's "Krankhaus" meaning "hospital" comes from "sick"+"house",
> > doesn't it?

Almost, it is 'Krankenhaus'.

> > I know German's Western, but I don't know how they say a "sick"
> > building.
>
> I don't recall the German for a sick house, but in Swedish you get _sjukhus_
> "hospital", _sjukt hus_ "sick house".

'krankes Haus' vs. 'Krankenhaus'.  However, in some situations, you
get the same form due to case endings on the adjective:

 in einem Krankenhaus    ['kRaNkN=,haUs]
 in einem kranken Haus   [,kRaNkN='haUs]

The stress pattern is different.  You could even eliminate this by
forcing emphasis on 'krank' (Like in: 'blahblah...in a sick house.  In
a brick house?  No, in a *sick* house.'  You'd also get
['kRaNkN=,haUs] then.)

Fortunately, sick houses seldom occur in normal situations. :-)

**Henrik