>From: 轡虫 <>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Language change among immortals
>Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:20:52 -0600

hi.

>This is a question that has been bothering me for a while. I may have
>asked the conlangs comm on LJ about it a while ago, but either I
>didn't get an answer or I didn't understand/forgot it.

and a very good question it is.

its not something I'd be able to think up, I assure you.

>How would a population being immortal, or at least very long-lived,
>affect the way that their language evolves?
>
>Tolkien's languages are the only conlangs I can think of at the moment
>that are spoken by a very long-lived race,

true, there's Tolkien's elves, and the Immortals (of the Highlander movies),
though the latter has no language of their own...possibly because they
hide\live amongst mortals.

my own guess about the language-change rate of immortals of any sort...is
that it'd partly depend on if they're in regular or semi-regular contact
with mortals (who'd have their own language).

if little or no contact with shorter-lived races, I'd guess that the
immortals would have a verrrrryyyy slow rate of language change; not so slow
  if there's regular contact with mortals.

of course, if the immortals (with no mortals nearby) go through fads of one
sort or another, that might fuel somewhat-rapid language change, at least in
dialects.

just some thoughts..