on 11/15/05 1:25 AM, Peter Bleackley at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have heard that some "Native Americans" prefer to self-designate as "Red"
> - for example, there is a lobbying group called WARN, which stands for
> "Women of All Red Nations".
>
> I don't know if this proves anything, other than that self-designation is a
> matter of personal taste.
>
> Pete (who self-designates as "English").

Hanuman Zhang, who self-designates as a WOG (Wiley Oriental Gentlecreature),
and BBC (British-Born Chinese)

--
Hanuman Zhang

    "...So what is life for? Life is for beauty and substance and sound and
colour; and even those are often forbidden by law [socio-cultural
conventions].
. . . Why not be free and live your own life? Why follow other people's
rules and live to please others?..."
- Lieh-Tzu/Liezi, Taoist Sage (c. 450- c. 375 BCE)

    From bamboogrove.com:

# The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove were a group of Chinese scholars
# and poets of the mid-3rd century AD who banded together to escape from
# the hypocrisy and danger of the official world to a life of drinking
# wine and writing verse in the country. Their retreat was typical of the
# Taoist-oriented ch'ing-t'an ("pure conversation") movement that advocated
# freedom of individual expression and hedonistic escape from extremely
# corrupt politics. Their ideal consisted in following their impulses and
# acting spontaneously. Their outstanding collective characteristic was
# their sensitivity to the beauties of nature.