--- In [log in to unmask], 轡虫 <snapping.dragon@G...> wrote:

>How would a population being immortal, or at least very long-lived,
>affect the way that their language evolves?

In my Senjecan conculture there are six races of loquent beings.
The first (in order of creation) is immortal.  The second & the
third are long-lived.  The fourth is immortal, unless actually
killed; they are not subject to disease.  The fifth (the humans) you
know about.  The sixth is also long-lived.

Senjecan purports to be the original language.  According to the
myth, there was a "fall from grace" which resulted in a
proliferation of languages accompanied by the usual evolution of
languages with which we are all familiar.  However, the original
Senjecan is still spoken by the first race and has developed an aura
of the sacred. Compounds and borrowings are used to express new
experiences.  And, although vocabulary increases, the original
grammar is still used and unmodified.

I have not yet investigated how the original Senjecan evolved into
PIE nor what dialect developed in the other loquent races.

Charlie
http://wiki.frath.net/user:caeruleancentaur