This is what the ODD system is for.

Your system should process the ODD declarations which define the TEI
customization in question. This will contain a great deal of information
about the classes concerned, the canonical names, etc. for all the
elements in question. Not to mention internationalization!

ODD is an XML format (indeed, a TEI one: see the section of the
Guidelines confusingly called "tag documentation"), so you can write
your java classes to do this in the same way as they currently handle
TEI documents.