Gary Shannon wrote:

>I think I've finally figured out why grammar is so
>complex. It's because it's an artificial attempt to
>discover "rules" in what is really a monsterous
>collection of exceptions. There ARE no rules; only
>exceptions! Tens of thousands of unique patterns of
>words learned by rote which, in reality, have no
>underlying theoretical reason for existing other than
>generations of acquired habits passed down with a bit
>of alteration and streamlining from one generation to
>the next.

I think this theory predicts a much larger set of probable languages,
with fewer common qualities, than are in evidence.

--
The "Million Style Manual" is a set of sixty-four jade stones marked
with pieces of Chinese characters. It expresses the kung fu of the void,

Shreyas Sampat
http://njyar.blogspot.com