Rex May wrote:

> I'm afraid that proper names in general, and geographic
> names in particular, are too messy to be reduced to a
> neat system like this.  What you have covered is probably
> fine, but ethnic groups and languages seldom overlap
> perfectly with nations.  A couple of things spring to mind:
> Yiddish and Romany languages are the most obvious of
> hundreds of languages that can't be described by
> coordinates.

There are two ways to make language names in Ygyde:
1. Six letter long compound words. (They are based on
   the geographic table.)
2. Five or seven letter long compound words. (They
   are based on adjective table and noun table.)

I would use the latter way to make Ygyde names for
the Yiddish and Romany languages.

Risto Kupsala wrote:

> In my opinion countries are more political than geographic
> entities. What happens when the borders of a country change?
> Does the name change accordingly to match the new
> geographical center? So for example pre-WW2 Poland had
> different name than post-WW2 Poland because the country's
> geographic center moved westwards?

The same problem exists when a government changes. For
example, the dark skinned inhabitants of Zimbabwe react
violently when you call their country Rhodesia.

Another problem is that when Bangladesh was part of
Pakistan, the geographic center of Pakistan was in
India.

I would change the name when the borders change.
Note that the 300 km resolution would not detect
small border changes.

Jens Wilkinson wrote:

> I'm sorry to be flippant, but I can't believe that you
> would actually think that people would be capable of
> learning or remembering such a scheme. For computers,
> it might work. But considering that we have perfectly
> comprehensible names for countries already, people are
> not going to want to memorize a bunch of names that
> all look pretty much alike.

The same argument can be made about verbs, adjectives,
and prepositions. This argument is based on the notion
that euroclones are superior to philosophical languages.
I believe that the opposite is true.

The geographic table has sufficient resolution
(about 300 km) to name countries, large regions, and
the largest cites. It does not have sufficient
resolution to name medium size cities. Replacing the
6-letter words with 8-letter words would improve
the resolution down to about 30 km.