For me, ago is most definitely NOT an adjective. A principle requirement
for an adjective is that you can say "It is [adjective]." as a
grammatical sentence.

To me it is a postposition. Yes, that probably does make it the only one
in the English language. Nothing wrong with that. I believe Maltese also
has only one postposition, which it inherited from Arabic. Curiously,
the sole postposition in Maltese fulfils exactly teh same grammatical
function.

Fabian