caeruleancentaur wrote at 2006-01-17 04:31:57 (-0000)
 > --- In [log in to unmask], Henrik Theiling <theiling@A...> wrote:
 >
 > I can see from the other messages that there is some confusion on
 > the definition of an adjective.  This comes as no surprise since
 > there are many debatable areas in the field of languages.  But for
 > the time being I will call "ago" an adjective because other
 > postpositional adjectives do exist in English and to call it a
 > postpostion would mean that it's the only one in the English
 > language, a situation certainly not impossible, but to me not
 > really logical.

No-one's saying "ago" must be a postposition because it comes after a
noun.  The argument is that a phrase like "an hour ago" behaves more
like a prepositional phrase headed by "ago" than a noun phrase headed
by "an hour".  Determining whether this is a reasonable label means
applying various syntactic tests, which I"ll leave to those more
capable than myself.