Roger Mills wrote:
> In southeast Florida (Miami-Lauderdale-Boca-Delray at least) they have a
> wonderfully confusing system:
> Numbered Avenues run N-S
> Numbered Streets run E-W
>
> So, "corner of 8th and 8th" is easy enough; but "corner of 8th and 4th" or
> "5th between 8th and 9th" require clarification.

It's that way in Gainesville, too, further north.  I find it quite
sensible myself.  As long as you remember to use the words "Avenue" or
"Street", it makes things wonderfully simple.  You can just do simple
math to see how far away something is.  If I'm on NW 3rd Avenue and NW
15th street and I need to go to NW 6th Avenue and NW 9th street, that's
3 blocks north and 6 blocks east.  Using names, you have to consult a
map to see how far away something is.  Using letters, you run out after 26.

It's not like that in Pensacola, in the far northwest, where I came
from, and when I encountered that system after moving to Gainesville, I
immediately came to admire it.