On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:33:44 -0500, Steven Williams <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> voiceless--> p - t - k - k_j - k_w
> ejective/glottalized --> (p') - t' - k' - k_j' - k_w'
> aspirated --> p_h - t_h - k_h - k_j_h - k_w_h

My own notation uses:

p  t  c  k  q
p' t' c' k' q'
ph th ch kh qh

Note that this is a notation only, and says nothing about the phenetic
values of c, k, and q, only that there are three distinct dorsal series.
Frankly, I'd be surprised if we can say for certain what the value of the
"c" series was. The advantages of this system are that it never needs
complex "diacritic" sequences, and that it does so while remaining
unambiguous. I've seen things like **gwed- in some plain ASCII discussion,
which could be either **q'ed- or **k'ued- in my notation.

Tangentially, I also include an "x" column for the syllable-intitial sound
commonly notated tk, dg, dhgh (or tc, t'c', thch in my notation), which
would otherwise be the only stop-stop onset cluster in PIE, and which has
a variety of usually complex relexes in the daughter languages, not all of
which are consistent with a TK sequence. I personally pronounce the series
as based on /tS)/ in my internal monolog, but I try to think in symbols
rather than sounds most of the time.

Paul