On 1/20/06, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 1/19/06, tomhchappell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > --- In [log in to unmask], "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@M...> wrote:
> > > I'd say "vacuum" is a bogus example.  Despite the spelling, there
> > > are only two syllables and only one vowel sound in the second
> > > syllable; it's /'v&k.jum/, not /'v&k.ju.um/.
> >
> > Four major dictionaries on-line list all three pronunciations.
> > Three of them list the ".ju.@m" pronunciation _first_.
>
> Whups.  My bad.  I had no idea anyone pronounced it that way.

Nor had I.

> > > English has a word "permille" analogous to "percent" for parts per
> > > thousand; there's even a symbol for it, analogous to %: o/oo.  Rarer
> > > still are "permyriad" and the corresponding symbol, meaning
> > > parts per 10,000.
> >
> > Thanks; I've never heard or seen either of those words in English
> > before.
>
> Neither had I until I ran across their symbols in the Unicode
> Standard.  As I said, they're somewhat rare.  Perhaps even archaic at
> this point.

"permille" (as "Promille") is somewhat used in Germany to refer to
blood alcohol concentrations, but its symbol isn't (I think - or not
as much as the word). I hadn't seen "permyriad" before, though its
meaning is fairly transparent.
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Watch the Reply-To!