On 1/30/06, Isaac Penzev <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Happy New Year of the Hegira to all our Muslim colleagues!

You're a little early on that one.  The Muslim month (and hence year)
doesn't begin with the astronomical New Moon, but with the first
sighting of the new crescent in the evening sky.  Hijric year 1427
will thus not begin in most regions until either tonight or tomorrow
night at sunset.

> Happy New Lunar Year to all East Asian colleagues!

Indeed!  Welcome to year 丙-戌, of the (female fiery) Dog, reckoned by
Chinese expats in the West as year 4704 of the Huángdì era.   May it
be a good one!

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>