Dana Nutter skribis je 2006.02.25 5.49 ptm...

> li [Donald J. HARLOW] tulis la
>

>>Dana Nutter skribis je 2006.02.25 4.41 ptm...
>>
>>>Let's create a hypothetical situation where the U.N. decides chooses
>>>Conlang-X to be used officially.  Then what?  At that
>>
>>point, a handful
>>
>>>of diplomats and maybe some bureaucrats working for the
>>
>>orgranization
>>
>>>will have a reason to learn Conlang-X but why would anyone
>>
>>outside of
>>
>>>that realm need to learn it?
>>>

>>It's a good question, and depends on a couple of conditions: (1) How
>>serious is the U.N. about using Conlang-X, and (2) How much
>>clout does
>>the U.N. actually have? If the U.N. is disbursing huge
>>amounts of money
>>throughout the world, and at least the Secretariat insists on giving
>>preference to those who are willing to communicate with them in
>>Conlang-X, then you will find at least a fair number of VIPs
>>in at least
>>a few parts of the world who will rush to learn it. And from
>>that point
>>you can hope for trickle-down to the "masses".
>

> Hope is one thing, but realistically I wouldn't expect it to go much
> beyond the groups I mentioned and maybe a few others who may have
> aspirations of joining those groups.  Just as there is resentment
> towards many natural languages, I would expect that the adoption of
> Conlang-X by the U.N. to be viewed by many as "new world order" which to
> many has negative connotations.

As far as I can tell, you are speaking primarily of the American right
wing here. The whole "new world order" fear was primarily restricted to
this country (because of the idea that such a "new world order" would
impact negatively on our status as the Only Remaining Superpower and our
consequent ability to give orders and have them obeyed without
question). I don't think that this idea has terribly negative
connotations for the other 95% of people in the world (and not so much
for a large number of those at home).

>>I can't answer for 20 years ago, but forty years ago the
>>"International
>>Language Review", an older, paper, and slower version of Auxlang, had
>>around 1000 subscribers, compared to (when last I was able to look)
>>roughly 100 in this group.
>

> Yeah but even 20 years ago the world still mostly relied on same slow
> methods of communication.  Now we have forums like this where we can
> exchange ideas almost instantaneously.
>
> There really no comparison for the numbers.  This is just one of many
> places where conlangers/auxlangers hang out.  Some of us still hit a.l.a
> on Usenet (my preferred method) and there quite a few other groups on
> Yahoo.

a.l.a looked pretty moribund the last time I peeked in at it (which was
two months or so ago, admittedly). As far as various Yahoo (and Google)
groups are concerned, which of these are currently active and have
significant numbers of subscribers and posters? (I'm not counting
language-specific lists such as the L.F.N. list, the Idolisto, or the
roughly 150 Esperanto lists to which I subscribe ...)

--
-- Don HARLOW
    http://donh.best.vwh.net/