li [Donald J. HARLOW] tulis la

> Dana Nutter skribis je 2006.02.25 4.41 ptm...
> > Let's create a hypothetical situation where the U.N. decides chooses
> > Conlang-X to be used officially.  Then what?  At that
> point, a handful
> > of diplomats and maybe some bureaucrats working for the
> orgranization
> > will have a reason to learn Conlang-X but why would anyone
> outside of
> > that realm need to learn it?
> >
> It's a good question, and depends on a couple of conditions: (1) How
> serious is the U.N. about using Conlang-X, and (2) How much
> clout does
> the U.N. actually have? If the U.N. is disbursing huge
> amounts of money
> throughout the world, and at least the Secretariat insists on giving
> preference to those who are willing to communicate with them in
> Conlang-X, then you will find at least a fair number of VIPs
> in at least
> a few parts of the world who will rush to learn it. And from
> that point
> you can hope for trickle-down to the "masses".

Hope is one thing, but realistically I wouldn't expect it to go much
beyond the groups I mentioned and maybe a few others who may have
aspirations of joining those groups.  Just as there is resentment
towards many natural languages, I would expect that the adoption of
Conlang-X by the U.N. to be viewed by many as "new world order" which to
many has negative connotations.

> I can't answer for 20 years ago, but forty years ago the
> "International
> Language Review", an older, paper, and slower version of Auxlang, had
> around 1000 subscribers, compared to (when last I was able to look)
> roughly 100 in this group.

Yeah but even 20 years ago the world still mostly relied on same slow
methods of communication.  Now we have forums like this where we can
exchange ideas almost instantaneously.

There really no comparison for the numbers.  This is just one of many
places where conlangers/auxlangers hang out.  Some of us still hit a.l.a
on Usenet (my preferred method) and there quite a few other groups on
Yahoo.

> Of course, the idea of a "market" leads us to the idea of
> "marketing",
> which takes us back to the beginning of this message -- the
> concept that
> design is not enough, or even terribly important (at least once some
> kind of point of diminishing returns has been reached),
> compared to the
> willingness of a fairly large number of people to work very,
> very hard
> -- and to decide that their main priority is not to make it
> better but
> to make it work.

Well, I've has some ideas on how to market an auxlang but as you have
already mentioned it will take some hard work and money.

dejnx nxtxr / Dana Nutter

LI SASXSEK LATIS.
http://www.nutter.net/sasxsek