Jens Wilkinson wrote:
> --- Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> > "I am reading book OF sister OF the man WHO lives
>> > in a house red."
>>
>> This doesn't seem at all ambiguous to me.  Here
>> it's the man who lives in the red house.
>
> Sorry for responding a bit late, but that was the
> problem I was getting at. I wanted to mean that it's
> the woman who lives in the red house. I could try to
> say:
>
> I am reading book OF sister WHO lives in a house red
> OF the man
>
> But then it sounds like the sister doesn't belong to
> the man, but it's the house that belongs to the man. I
> don't think you can really say that unambiguously with
> pure right (or left) branching. You would have to
> split the sentence into two.

I have a solution to it:
I am reading a book OF sister WHO lives in a red house and WHO is sister
of the man.

It's in one sentence but not in one clause. But then even the original
example consists of two clauses: the main clause and the subordinate
clause. In fact "book OF sister" is only shorthand for "book THAT belongs
to sister", so in a way there's an additional clause hidden with a
grammatical trick. Introduce another grammatical trick such the one in
Tceqli and the problem is solved. Or just split the sentence to more
sentences. There's nothing wrong with avoiding excessive subordinate
clauses.

-- Risto