Hi all,

We have added several minor upgrades and numerous small fixes
to our latest release of the open source version of PhiloLogic (3.002):
  General site: http://philologic.uchicago.edu/
  Downloads:    http://philologic.uchicago.edu/download.php

Of possible interest to the TEI is a new search operator, Mark's
famous "ButtKnot" ;-), and ajax enabled note handler for hyperlinked
notes.  We also have an experimenatal GUI loader for Macintosh.
Several additional developments potentially deleterious to the
gastric health of TEI lifers are listed below -- with fair warning.

BUTNOT:  A word vector filter which subtracts a secondary
pattern from a primary pattern, e.g. "christ* BUTNOT christm*"
(no quotes in searches) -- or in concise notation "christ*|-christm*" --
to filter forms of christmas from christ* for searching.   This
works in standard PhiloLogic notion with AND, OR, NOT.  BUTNOT is
proposed because the NOT operator in PhiloLogic functions as a
proximity NOT, so "NOT christ jesus NOT christ", finds instances of
jesus when not preceded or followed by christ -- the personal jesus.
Example:
    http://philologic.uchicago.edu/philologic3/docsouth.html
Try "christ.* BUTNOT christ[im].*" (no quotes). Concise notation
"christ.*|-christ[im].*" (Note the final ".*" required to distinguish
from "[im]*").

Ajax note handler ... a configuration selectable note displayer
that uses Ajax to get the note from the server and taggle display
in the text rather than a pop-up browser window.  Example:
  http://cassat.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.8:3.lincoln
Works for ARTFL TEI formatted note tags and ATE (see beyond the
pale below).

An experimental OS-X GUI loader.  For those allergic to command
line computing, this is an alternative to the command line loader and
offers options.  Proof-of-concept at this point.

Finally, added code chunks and readmes to our code "junkyard"
(actually goodies/) to handle many custom applications, such as
dirty OCR search and reporting, virtual normalization, dictionary
display support, and many romanization search functions.

Next development round: internationalization.  We are planning to
release PhiloLogic 3.1 with multiple language interface support in
June '06.

Do let us know if you have comments, suggestions, and most importantly,
bug reports to [log in to unmask]

TEI Lifers! And you know who you are.  To avoid gastric distress,
including but not limited to loosing your lunch, or other unpleasant
reactions, delete this now.  And never look back.  :-)

We have added new philoload and philo-db.cfg options, texttype.
This is to support NON-TEI encoding schemes, or lack of encoding
schemes, depending on your point of view.

By popular demand, "plaintext".  Yes indeed, we have had people ask
for it to be included in PhiloLogic.  Tested on Gutenberg and
Liberliber documents.  Character conversion to UTF-8 from whatever
character encoding you might get them in is *strongly recommended*, because
we can have result pages that mix materials from different documents.
Example, Gutenberg Spanish and German documents:
  http://philologic.uchicago.edu/philo3002demo/gutenberg.form.html
Note that PhiloLogic will handle earlier character representations,
but some modification to headers, etc. would be required.

Prototype support for DocBook.  Could be extended if there is interest.
Again, proposed by a PhiloLogic user/hacker.  Example:
   http://philologic.uchicago.edu/philo3002demo/docbooklit.form.html
This is not fully supported, but could be if there is sufficient demand.

And finally ... you guessed it HTML.  Well ATE.  ARTFL Text Encoding.
This is/was an intermediate internal encoding scheme consisting of
Dublin Core headers, HTML (reasonably handled), with optional tagging
for things like pages, notes, sentences, and so on, very lightly
documented at http://philologic.uchicago.edu/ATE/   Example:
   http://philologic.uchicago.edu/philo3002demo/lincoln.form.html
Caveat emptor: PhiloLogic will probably load arbitrary HTML, but this
may not always work, particularly if you have use of <h[1-N] tags in
unexpected order.

Russ, Robert, Orion and Mark
The ARTFL Project