You can certainly have as many child elements within <choice> as you
like. The <alt> element however is not currently a member of the
model.choicePart class, because it is used to express alternation in a
rather different (but more general) way. See
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/html/SA.html#SAAT for
discussion of this more general method.

<choice> is intended for much simpler applications, where all that is
needed is the ability to say that there's more than one way to encode a
specific phenomenon.  Note also that the relationship between one <alt>
and another is not necessarily the same as that between one choicePart
and another: all the children of <choice> have equal weight whereas
<alt>s can be given probabilities.